Graduate assistant health insurance waiver
As a graduate assistant, you will automatically be enrolled in the MSU Graduate Assistant Health Insurance Plan and the insurance premium will be paid by MSU. If you would like to waive coverage, you must demonstrate you have comparable coverage.
Important Note: Beginning July 1, 2020, MSU will be changing the system to waive coverage from StuInfo to Relation, an affiliate of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
If you want to waive out of this coverage, you can apply to do so at Relation here: https://4studenthealth.relationinsurance.com/ by clicking on the "Waive SHIP" icon. Review a list of waiver frequently asked questions here.
In order to waive the MSU Graduate Assistant Health Insurance Plan, your coverage must meet minimum criteria to receive approval:
- Does your plan cover inpatient hospital services?
- Does your plan cover outpatient hospital services?
- Does your plan provide coverage for the waiver period requested?
Waiver Periods and Deadlines:
- Fall/Annual: July 2 – September 30
- Spring I: October 14 – February 28
- Spring II: October 14 – February 28
- Spring III: March 16 – June 30
If you do not complete a waiver prior to the deadline, you will have to wait until the next waiver period to waive coverage.
If you have questions regarding the waiver criteria or process, please contact MSU Human Resources at 800-353-4434 or email SolutionsCenter@hr.msu.edu.