Graduate assistant benefits
Michigan State University is pleased to offer health, dental and vision coverage to graduate assistants and their eligible dependents. If you have questions about the graduate assistant insurance plans, please contact MSU Human Resources at 800-353-4434 or email SolutionsCenter@hr.msu.edu.
MSU Graduate Assistant Health Plans
As a Graduate Assistant, you are automatically enrolled in the MSU Graduate Assistant Health Plan through Blue Care Network (BCN). With this coverage, you’ll have access to quality health care through hospitals, physicians and affiliated health care professionals in the BCN provider network. Providers can be located on the BCN website.
Teaching Assistants Residing Outside the U.S.
Teaching Assistants who are teaching remotely from foreign nations due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic and who are unable to travel to the United States shall have the option to enroll in the Cigna Global Health Advantage (CGHA) Insurance Plan in lieu of the health and dental insurance coverage provided under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Since the BCN Plan may not have the same level of benefits outside the United States, the CGHA Plan may provide extra coverage for those teaching internationally.
Please note the following important information:
- Individual Teaching Assistants must affirmatively enroll in the CGHA Plan within thirty (30) days of appointment or they will be enrolled in the health insurance offered through the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Individuals are not required to hold a VISA (F-1/J-1/H-1B) in order to be eligible to enroll in the CGHA Plan.
- Individuals who enroll in the CGHA Plan shall be disenrolled from the health and dental insurance offered through the collective bargaining agreement for the duration of their enrollment in the CGHA Plan.
- Individuals who enroll in the CGHA Plan shall be required to pay any difference between the University’s contribution for health and dental insurance offered through the Collective Bargaining Agreement and the CGHA Plan. Failure to pay the difference shall result in termination of coverage.
- Once enrolled, Teaching Assistants must remain enrolled in the CGHA Plan for a minimum of six (6) months.
- The coverage and availability of the CGHA Plan shall be subject to applicable carrier rules, policies, regulations, and limitations.
- The coverage and availability of the CGHA Plan shall be subject to all applicable laws and regulations and will vary between locations. The University shall not be responsible for any costs if the CGHA Plan is not valid or accepted in a given nation, region, or location. Similarly, the University shall not be responsible for any costs if the CGHA Plan is not accepted by any provider.
For information on plan design, coverage and rates, please click on https://hr.msu.edu/benefits/international-employees/.
The 1095-C contains detailed information about the health care coverage provided by Michigan State University. If you were enrolled in health care coverage, worked an average of 30 or more hours per week, or were considered a full-time employee at any point in the tax year, then you should receive a 1095-C. The information you report from the form will be used to determine whether you will pay a penalty for failing to have health care coverage as required by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, also called Obamacare. Think of the form as your “proof of insurance” for the IRS.
You can see what the 1095-C (there are three versions: A, B and C. C is used by Michigan State University) looks like here.
For more information about 1095-B please visit the IRS website.
Graduate School Information
The Student Advisory Group (SIAG) meets periodically to discuss student insurance issues such as health plan cost, utilization, plan design, and renewal. Members of the group are representatives of the MSU community which the student health insurance plan serves, including students and departmental representatives.
If you have questions about the graduate assistant insurance plans, please contact MSU HR at 800-353-4434 or email SolutionsCenter@hr.msu.edu.