403(b) Base Retirement Program

The 403(b) Base Retirement Program (BRP) is available to regular benefits eligible MSU employees working at least half-time (50% or more) for at least nine continuous months. It is a defined contribution plan operated under section 403(b) of the Internal Revenue Code.

This plan consists of an employee contribution of 5% of your eligible compensation and a university matching contribution* of 10% of your eligible compensation - an immediate two for one match of your investment - for a total contribution of 15%.

Your 5% contribution is made on a tax-deferred basis. Since contributions are taken out before taxes, you pay less tax on your current income. You do not pay taxes on either contributions or earnings until you begin receiving your retirement income from the plan. Since contributions are fully and immediately vested, you have full ownership of your account from day one.

*Note: Certain types of employees (student employees and non-resident aliens earning income exempt from Unites States federal income taxes) are excluded to participate in the 403(b) Retirement Plan.  Please see the 403(b) Base Retirement Program Eligibility Chart for more detail.