Faculty, Academic Staff and Executive Management Wage Reductions FAQs
The following FAQs should help answer questions you have about the temporary wage reductions for faculty, academic staff and executive management, in response to the financial impacts of the coronavirus pandemic.
Last Modified: August 6, 2020
- Executive Managers, Deans, and Academic Managers
- Full-time non-union (90-100% FTE) Faculty and Academic Staff
- Applies to both general fund and externally funded
Click here to view the Faculty and Academic Staff Wage Reduction Scale:
- Individuals covered by the Union of Non-tenure Track Faculty (UNTF) collective bargaining agreement  .
- Individuals with an employment percent of 89% or less.
- Individuals on Non-Immigrant Visas.
- Research Associates and Sr. Research Associates (also referred to as Post-Docs)
- Individuals employed with Athletics (Note: Athletics has its own reduction scale)
- Faculty and academic staff whose total annual salary is less than $50,000.00 (including on-call and project pay)
 Those with hybrid UNTF/non-UNTF appointments will only have the temporary reductions taken on their non-UNTF salary portion of their appointment.
Executive Managers and Deans temporary reductions were effective May 1, 2020. The graduated scale has been revised with new rates for executive managers and deans taking effect July 1, 2020.
Faculty and academic staff (that are not in the list of exclusions above) temporary salary reductions will take effect September 1, 2020.
Reductions will be in effect for at least one year but may be extended depending on the university’s financial situation as this unprecedented pandemic continues to evolve.
Academic Management titles include:
Senior Associate Dean, Associate Dean, Assistant Dean, Senior Advisor, Senior Advisor to Dean, Chairperson, School Director, Institute/Center Director, Chief of Staff, Division Director, Senior Advisor, University Physician, Intellectual Integrity Officer, University Attending Veterinarian
For individuals that have fixed term faculty or academic Staff appointments that have all or part of their assignment as teaching, the teaching assignment component (i.e. that portion covered by the UNTF contract) is excluded from the temporary salary reduction.
- If appointment is 100% UNTF teaching, then the faculty/academic staff member is excluded from the temporary pay reduction.
- If appointment is 50% UNTF teaching and 50% research, the 50% portion of the assignment related to UNTF teaching is excluded from the reduction; however, the 50% of the assignment that is research will be subject to the temporary pay reduction.
Summer salary support will be impacted by the temporary salary reduction for summer semester 2021. The rate of salary support will be based on the salary as of May 15.
The reduction rate/percentage will be based on the faculty or academic staff member’s total salary (i.e., base salary and any administrative increment) at the time of the temporary reduction.
New  faculty and academic staff appointments (those that have a signed offer letter or fixed term memorandum prior to July 1, 2020) will be exempt from the temporary pay reduction. New faculty and academic staff hired with offer letters signed on or after July 1, 2020 will be subject to the pay reduction.
 “New” is intended to mean those who are first-time hires under the classification of salaried faculty and academic staff and who have not yet begun work at the University as of July 1, 2020.
Yes, positions that are funded by external grants (wholly or partially) will be subject to the temporary graduated pay reduction.
The reduction will be applied to an individual’s total salary, including any administrative increment (AI).
Yes, promotional increases that have been traditionally centrally funded will continue. These raises will go into effect on 10/01/2020.
Faculty and academic staff currently on a non-immigrant visa will be excluded from the temporary pay reduction.
The reduced salary can be found in the EBS portal. Once logged in, select My Personal Information, then click Personal Profile. The salary data tile should be located on the right side of the screen.
If you have questions regarding your reduction, please contact your department or unit HR representative.