MSU Human Resources >> Contracts >> Union Contracts

Union contracts

Collective Bargaining Agreements

Board Resolution on Collective Bargaining 

Below are answers to frequently asked questions regarding the December 17, 2021 board resolution

Expand All

Generally, the resolution means that:

  1. The University (including all supervisors) will not issue any opinions about unionizing, either for or against.
  2. The University will work cooperatively with a union to determine a reasonable bargaining unit. 
  3. The University will voluntarily recognize a bargaining unit based on a “card check” process. A card check process means that there is no vote by secret ballot election to decide whether a unit will be unionized; rather, a unit will be unionized if a majority of the employees in the particular unit signs cards, distributed and collected by a union, indicating they agree to be represented by that union.

Because of the Board resolution, the only information supervisors should provide at this time is to refer to these FAQ’s and the Board resolution .

A union campaign typically begins with one or more unions reaching out to employees to determine if there is interest in joining a union. There may be meetings held by the union, information distributed, and other efforts to reach employees. In campaigns in which the card check process (or voluntary recognition process) is used, a union or unions then will approach employees about signing a card, authorizing that union to represent a particular unit. Then, when a majority of employees in a particular unit sign the card, the employer agrees to recognize that union as the bargaining representative of that unit. There is no election – the card is the employee’s sole voice on the matter.    

Once a union has been recognized, the employer is required to bargain over your terms and conditions of employment with your union representative. That bargaining will result in what is referred to as a “collective bargaining agreement,” which is an agreement between the University and the union that outlines terms and conditions of employment. 

Right to Work Information

For issues regarding union membership, dues payment or Michigan’s Freedom-to-Work law, please see the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Employment Relations website at or contact the department using the information below.

The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Bureau of Employment Relations
Cadillac Place
3026 W. Grand Boulevard, Suite 2-750
PO Box 02988
Detroit, MI 48202-2988
Tel: 313-456-3510 Fax: 313-456-3511

Union Addresses