MSU Human Resources >> Benefits >> Life-change >> Illness or Injury

Illness or injury

In the event that illness or injury makes it necessary for you to miss work, you must notify your supervisor that you will be absent and the anticipated length of your absence.

  • Know if you are eligible for paid sick leave and report absence in the EBS Portal. Regular support staff working half-time or more are able to accrue sick leave at the rate of 4 hours each two weeks of completed service. These hours are credited at the end of the month. Report sick leave in full hour increments. 1585, SSTU, 324 members are able to have sick leave authorized and reported in tenths of an hour.

  • Provide a doctors statement upon your return if your department requests.

  • If your child or elder family member is sick you may be eligible to use sick leave, vacation, family sick, compensatory or unpaid time to be with your child or elder family member. You will need to report this time in the EBS Portal or through your unit level absence reporting system as FMLA if it qualifies.

  • Know if you are eligible for Long-Term Disability (LTD). LTD benefits normally begin the first day following 180 days of continuous disability or after all sick leave, vacation and personal accruals have been utilized, whichever is later.

  • Know if you are eligible for Workers' Compensation. Any injury arising out of and in the course of employment must be reported to the administrative head and Workers' Compensation.