MSU Human Resources >> Benefits >> Life-change >> Sponsored Dependent Coverage For Adult Family Members

Sponsored Dependent Coverage For Adult Family Members

Health coverage may be available for the following dependents under the Sponsored Dependent Rider:

  • Age 19 and over:  Related to you by blood or marriage, but not covered as an Eligible Child. The dependent must meet the terms of the Internal Revenue Code for dependency.

  • Age 25 and over:  Adult family members, who are not covered as Eligible Children, but related to you by blood or marriage, including grandchildren (non-adopted), nieces (non-adopted), and nephews (non-adopted).

  • Age 26 and over (Beginning the following calendar year the Eligible Child turns age 26):  Biological son, biological daughter, adopted son, adopted daughter, stepsons and stepdaughters.

All of the following requirements must be met: 

  • Be related to you by blood, marriage or legal adoption

  • Be members of your household

  • Be dependent on you for more than half of their support

  • Meet the IRS dependency gross income test 

  • Be a U.S. citizen or resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico for some part of the calendar year in which your tax year began

You are responsible for paying the cost of coverage for each sponsored dependent. Please contact MSU Human Resources regarding eligibility and contribution requirements. 

Sponsored dependents are not eligible for dental coverage.

If your dependent is eligible for coverage as a sponsored dependent, you may enroll them by completing the Offline Enrollment\Change Formand Affidavit of Dependency. Important Note: Please do not use Apple Preview when completing the form.

Contact the MSU WorkLife Office for eldercare information and resources that are available both locally and long distance. The MSU WorkLife Office can help provide information on: Home Delivered Meals/Nutrition, Transportation, Mental Health Services, Senior Centers, Long-Term Care Insurance, Nursing Home Care, Prescription Drug Coverage, Adult Day Care, Home Care Services and more. 

Report any absences in the EBS Portal using the appropriate category. You may be eligible to use sick leave, vacation, family sick, compensatory or unpaid time to be with your elder family member. You will need to report this time on the Attendance System or through your unit level absence reporting system as FMLA, if it qualifies.

Contact Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for information on counseling services that are available.