Educational assistance instructions: Non-msu, non-credit courses
For courses offered by MSU Human Resources (OPD) or MSU IT, please sign up for those courses through the EBS Portal. The Educational Assistance application is not used for these specific courses.
- Discuss course and release time with your supervisor. Complete the online application within the Enterprise Business System portal 30 days prior to the first day of the course.
- Employee may have up to $800 for non-credit courses. Amount is pro-rated if the employee is less than full-time (90 – 100%).
- The application routes to the direct supervisor; if the supervisor approves it, it is routed to MSU Human Resources for final approval.
- Applications submitted after attending a course(s) may be subject to being disapproved.
- Authorization for course approval is given by the supervisor by approving the Educational Assistance application in the online system. For MSU non-credit courses offered through OPD and MSU IT the approval is granted electronically and not through the educational assistance system.
MSU Human Resources:
- Applications are reviewed for final approval.
- The employee is notified within 15 days (after receipt of the application in MSU Human Resources) if the request has been approved or denied.
- All applications are retained in MSU Human Resources.
- Within 15 days of the conclusion of the course, the employee provides proof of successful course completion (a copy of a certificate or Non-Credit Course Certification of Successful Completion form) and course cost (a receipt) to MSU Human Resources. If paid by the department a copy of the procurement card statement or department fund ledger would be required using the online Educational Assistance system.
- Reimbursement may be delayed or denied if proper documentation is not submitted within the appropriate timelines.
- Reimbursement for successfully completed courses will be direct deposited provided the employee has MSU payroll direct deposit. If not, a check will be issued and sent to the employee’s work address on record.