Criminal Background Check (CBC) Process for Youth Program Volunteers or Workers
All individuals who have unsupervised access to minors at a youth program sponsored by the University must have been subject to a criminal background check (CBC) through MSU Human Resources within the last twelve months.
An external organization sponsoring a youth program on campus or using MSU facilities for a youth program must certify that all adults working or volunteering at the program have been subject to a criminal background check (including sex offender registry check) within the last twelve months.
Youth Program Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Informs youth program volunteers and/or workers that a criminal background check is required for all individuals who have unsupervised access to minors at a youth program sponsored by the University.
- Completes Section 1 of the Youth Program Criminal Background Check (CBC) Authorization Form
- Instructs youth program volunteers and/or workers to complete Section 2 of the Youth Program Criminal Background Check (CBC) Authorization Form.
- Collects and submits completed and signed Youth Program Criminal Background Check (CBC) Authorization Forms by batch to MSU HR a minimum of ten (10) business days before the start of the youth program.
- Program coordinators are encouraged to submit more authorization forms than needed just in case some individuals are ineligible to volunteer or work for the youth program. Doing this will ensure adequate coverage.
- Submits Youth Program Criminal Background Check (CBC) Authorization Forms in any of the following ways:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 517-432-3862 Mail: MSU Human Resources
Attn: Youth Program CBC
1407 S. Harrison Road, 110 Nisbet Building
East Lansing, MI 48823
Drop- Off: MSU HR, 110 Nisbet Building
Attn: Youth Program CBC
MSU HR Responsibilities:
- Determines if a criminal background check has been completed within the last twelve months. If a criminal background check has been completed within the last twelve months, another check is not necessary.
- Requests program description from youth program coordinator if needed.
- Conducts criminal background checks using the following tools:
- Michigan Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT).
- Michigan Department of Corrections' Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS).
- National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW).
- Reviews CBC results and assesses eligibility.
- Notifies individuals who do not have satisfactory criminal background check results and provides opportunity for explanation/clarification before a final decision regarding eligibility is made. If individuals are deemed ineligible, a formal decision letter will be sent to the address provided on the authorization form. Youth program coordinators will also be notified via email of the final decision regarding eligibility.
- Notifies youth program coordinator via email of the outcome of the criminal background checks within five (5) business days of receiving request.
- Provides a list of youth program volunteers and/or workers and their eligibility status.
- Enters youth program volunteer or worker data into MSU HR database and retains original forms.
Refer questions to MSU Human Resources by telephone at 517-353-4434 or Email HR.