MSU Human Resources >> Ua >> Toolkits >> Support Staff Reclassification Process
Support Staff Reclassification Process
- A department wishing to reclassify a position will need to submit a completed Staffing Request Form through EBS, which will be routed to MSU Human Resources.
- The request is to contain: a concise description of job responsibilities, including a breakdown in percentage of such responsibilities; minimum requirements to perform the responsibilities of the position, to include education and experience consistent with the classification description; and a summary of the job responsibilities. A letter of justification from the supervisor/department/Unit HR representative is highly recommended.
- The department may request a classification that they feel is appropriate based on the new duties/responsibilities of the position.
- The department may also submit a staffing request form without a requested classification.
- MSU Human Resources will review all requests for appropriate classification and salary/wage. This will include:
- Reviewing the request considering: duties/responsibilities and skill/knowledge requirements for entry into the classification.
- Analyzing the request by reviewing pertinent material/data and/or through discussions with the department/MAU representatives and/or employee.
- Making comparisons with same or similar classifications in the University classification system or with other employers as necessary.
- Determining whether position responsibilities:
- fit the current classification,
- require creation of a new classification,
- require revision to an existing classification, or
- result in no change or reclassification.
- MSU Human Resources Employee Relations will be notified when a position changes bargaining groups in order to communicate the change to the appropriate Union.
- MSU Human Resources will notify the Staffing Coordinator and/or the employee’s supervisor of the final determination.
- Analysis of the position may result in a final determination of:
- higher or lower grade level
- no change in grade level or classification
- new or revised classification, or
- change in employee group
- The hiring department should be prepared to implement MSU Human Resources determination.
- Maximum amount of retroactivity of the effective date is 30 days from receipt in MSU Human Resources.
- Reclassifications that require a bargaining group change (i.e. APA to APSA) cannot be effective retroactively.
- Additional tools available to Staffing Coordinators: