Fixing errors and common issues in the electronic I-9 System
If the department is hiring a number of individuals at an off-campus site, someone at that site should have access to the electronic I-9 system. If this is not possible, the Remote I-9 Process should be followed.
This case is most common for academic/faculty hires. The hiring unit will need to initiate the Remote I-9 Process prior to the hire date so HR staff can send a special link and instructions to the employee for Section 1 completion. The employee will also receive a separate email containing a list of suggested institutions in the remote area that may be able to assist in completing Section 2. Once the employee has identified the person who will complete Section 2, they will need to email hr.I9Admin@hr.msu.edu so the identified person can be given login information for the electronic I-9 system. See the Remote I-9 Process for more information.
Notaries cannot complete an electronic I-9 in the electronic I-9 system unless the Remote I-9 Process is followed.
- Select "Search For Employee"
- Use the employee's name as it was previously entered in the system to search for the employee record
- Click the employee's name link; this will display the Employee Detail page
- Click the "Section 3" button toward the bottom of the page
- Follow the instructions to complete Section 3
- Add a comment by returning to the Employee Detail page and clicking the "Comment" button near the bottom of the page
- Give a detailed explanation of the correction