Support Staff Policies & Procedures

Support Staff Policy & Procedure for Filling Vacant Temporary and On-Call Positions

Last updated 11/04/2020


Applies to: University support staff temporary and on-call positions

All temporary and on-call employment are required to be posted. For guidance on processing a temporary or on-call Position Request Forms, please visit the Help With EBS page. If you have questions related to hiring a temporary employee through the EBS Portal, contact the Temporary and On-Call Hiring Team

A list of titles is available on the On-Call and Temporary Title List page to assist units in selecting the appropriate title.

  1. Michigan State University is committed to the principles of equal opportunity, non-discrimination and cultural diversity. The University, in its employment and personnel policies and practices, does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of age, color, gender, gender identity, disability status, height, marital status, national origin, political persuasion, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or weight.
  2. The University is committed to the concept of promotion from within the institution.
  3. The University endorses the principle of career development of its employees and will, in good faith, encourage career concepts of employment.
  4. Titles and pay rates are subject to the approval of MSU Human Resources.


Recruiting temporary employees:

  1. Open temporary and on-call positions are to be posted on Careers @ MSU
  2. If a candidate is not available, the unit may use a temporary employment contractor. A Direct Payment Voucher (DPV) is to be routed directly to Accounts Payable in the Controller's Office for payment of services.

Staffing Request: 

  1. A department wishing to fill a vacancy should submit a completed Position Request Form through EBS, which will be routed through departmental workflow
  2. The request is to contain a concise description of job responsibilities, experience, education and credentials necessary to do the job (consistent with the chosen title).

Job Postings: 
Department: Job postings are updated on a 30-minute schedule. The openings are posted on Careers @ MSU for a minimum of twenty four (24) hours. Internal applicants should access the Careers @ MSU tile through the EBS Portal.

Some units post a hard copy of the job postings in a conspicuous place.

Advertising vacancies (media): 

Applying for vacancies
Employee: May apply for posted vacancies by completing an application using Careers @ MSU. Access the website through the Careers @ MSU tile within the EBS Portal. Employees can search for various types of positions, apply online, and check the status of positions using Careers @ MSU.

Non-employee: May apply for positions using Careers @ MSU.

Referral of candidates/reference checks: 


  1. Authorized departmental administrators may examine the official personnel folder of employees who have applied for a vacancy in that department. They may also contact the employee's former department(s) for references.
  2. Reference checking of off-campus employers is permissible and encouraged. Inquiries to off-campus employers should be handled in a confidential manner and all questions to employers are subject to the rules and guidelines relative to equal employment opportunity and fair employment practices (see Employment Guide).
  3. It is the responsibility of the hiring department to ensure that employees possess required licenses, registrations and certificates (see Policy and Procedure for licenses, registrations and certifications).

Department: The interviewing department arranges interview times for candidates listed on the interview list. Structured interviews (see Behavioral-Based Interview Questions), i.e., consistent interviews, are conducted in accordance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Structured interview documents are to be retained by the department for a minimum of three years. In the event of an official challenge to the process, these documents are to be retained until the matter is closed.

Employee/department: Employee candidates are to be granted reasonable time away from the job to interview for University vacancies.

Selection of candidate: 
Department: Interviews and completes the hiring recommendation which is reviewed by MSU Human Resources for approval.

MSU Human Resources: Final selection of the candidate, including salary and starting date, requires approval of MSU Human Resources. A criminal background check will be run on all employees.

No promises of future raises, except those contractually agreed to, should be given to a prospective employee.

Notification of selected candidates: 
The department notifies the selected candidate. When the selected candidate accepts the offer of employment, the department informs him/her of:

If the selected candidate is a current employee, he/she may be required to satisfactorily complete another health assessment prior to changing jobs (see Policy and Procedure for health assessment).

New University employees have their appropriate paperwork processed by MSU Human Resources Solutions Center prior to beginning work.

MSU Human Resources Solutions Center:


If requesting a parking permit, vehicle registration is required.

Notice requirements: 

Employees who have received notice of layoff - reduction in force or reduction in hours may be relocated without the normal notice requirements.

Refer questions to: MSU Human Resources Solutions Center (telephone 517-353-4434).

On-Call Minors applicant additional steps:

  1. Obtains Work Permit from his/her high school and takes it to employing department for completion of Part I. The student completes Part II and then takes it back to school for completion of Part III.
  2. Takes Parent Consent form to parent or guardian for completion and signature.
  3. Returns completed Work Permit and Parent Consent form to hiring department.
  4. Hiring department retains all information and copies of forms in their department.

Last updated:

11/04/2020: Complete rework for change in hiring practice requiring postings for temporary and on-call employment

Back to Support Staff Policies and Procedures