Affirmative Action

08. Dual Career Couples - Affirmative Action Searches


Search committees are frequently asked by an individual they are recruiting about job possibilities for a spouse/partner. If a spouse/partner is qualified for an academic position, you may wish to contact the appropriate academic unit or college to explore appointment opportunities. This type of activity may, of course, be reciprocal. It may also be possible to appoint a spouse/partner in a non-tenure system position. If a faculty appointment is inappropriate, you may wish to secure for her or him research space and library privileges. The Associate Provost and Associate Vice President for Faculty and Academic Staff Affairs (353-5300) may be of assistance in exploring opportunities.

An offer to recommend appointment of a woman and/or a minority candidate may be acceptable to the individual, but the individual's final acceptance of the offer may be conditional on her or his spouse/partner finding employment in the area and specifically at Michigan State University. The receiving academic unit at MSU must be willing to accept the spouse of your candidate. In such instances, it may be possible to use an exception to posting/search requirements (See "When to Use the Affirmative Action Hiring Procedure in the "Academic Hiring Manual") for the appointment of the individual's spouse/partner in an academic appointment. Again, the Associate Provost and Associate Vice President for Faculty and Academic Staff Affairs should be contacted for assistance.

If the spouse/partner wishes to apply for a support staff position, the assistance of the Office of Human Resources (353-4434) should be sought regarding position opportunities.

Back to the Handbook for Faculty Searches with Special Reference to Affirmative Action