Academic Specialist Manual

7.2 Payroll Procedures

The following items must be furnished to the Payroll Division of the Office of the Controller before a new academic specialist can be put on the University payroll:

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. Social security numbers must be verified by the Payroll Office, 350 Administration Building, prior to the first pay date. Verification may be completed by presenting the social security card to the Payroll Office or by sending a photocopy to that office.

EMPLOYEE WITHHOLDING ALLOWANCE CERTIFICATE (FORM W-4). The W-4 form authorizes the University to recognize the appropriate exemptions when calculating withholding taxes.

New academic specialists should at the same time complete the appropriate forms in the Human Resources Office to participate in such programs as employee-paid life, health and dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment, and base and supplemental retirement benefits. All benefit programs are described briefly in the Benefits section of this handbook. Additional information is available from Human Resources, 1407 S. Harrison Road, Suite 110, 517-353-4434 or 1-800-353-4434, extension 536.

Back to Academic Specialist Handbook