Academic Specialist Manual

7.11 Credit for Past Services

Last Updated: August 22, 2019

For retirement vesting purposes only, an academic specialist may receive credit for past service if the following conditions are met:

Credit for past service applies solely to the minimum retirement requirements and has no effect on any other University benefits or programs. To apply for credit for past service, submit a written request to MSU Human Resources, after establishing five years of continuous re-employment.

The following information should be included in the written request:

For information on retiring from the University, please see the Policy for Retiring from the University.  For more information on the benefits available for official MSU retirees, including the University's contribution toward health and dental, and detail on Full Time Equivalent (FTE) Service Months, please see the Retiree Benefits Policy. For a summary of how benefits will change in retirement, please see the Effect of Retirement on Benefits.

Questions regarding this procedure should be directed to MSU Human Resources, 517-353-4434.

¹For purposes of this policy, "employees" include faculty, academic staff, or support staff.

Back to Academic Specialist Handbook