August 18, 2021
TO: Deans, Chairpersons, and School Directors
FROM: Teresa K. Woodruff, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
SUBJECT: University-Level Market Adjustment Funding Pool FY 2021-22
The 2021-22 Provost Market Program takes a wider perspective than in previous years. The absence of an annual merit increase necessarily suggests a different approach. As an institution, MSU’s philosophy related to academic salaries has also broadened to address inclusive excellence and equity.
Faculty who are consistently recognized as very meritorious by peers at MSU or at comparable institutions are eligible for market awards. In many but not all instances their scholarship will be reflected favorably by national or international metrics and tools and referenced in the college recommendations. In addition, faculty making a significant contribution to the college and whose salaries are materially below peers hired at approximately the same time are to be considered. It is generally anticipated that college recommendations will reflect the principle of inclusive excellence and equity.
The principle of inclusive excellence and equity will be used for allocation of the provost adjustment pool. Deans are asked to develop recommendations which address this goal within the context of a 0.5 percent market funding pool. The increment will be effective October 1, 2021. The intent of this program is to recognize talented faculty and academic staff in a timely manner and, in so doing, encourage long-term commitment to the university within an increasingly competitive national market.
Specifically, each responding administrator is requested to develop recommendations that total no more than one-half percent of the faculty salary base as provided by the Office of Planning and Budgets. The total number of individuals recommended for a market adjustment should constitute no more than 20 percent of the tenure system faculty in the college or MAU. Incremental resource needs over the centrally provided increment should be noted and prioritized for future year adjustments.
Recommendations for individual market/equity adjustments are submitted through the generic raise process for faculty and academic staff and
Market adjustment recommendations based on the criteria set forth above should be processed according to the following timetable:
- Units are to identify faculty and academic staff members below the average salary for their respective cohort (i.e., rank and years of service). Faculty and Academic Staff Affairs will meet with each Dean to discuss candidates identified for salary equity adjustment during the week of August 23, 2021.
- Individual market adjustment recommendations should be submitted by 5:00 p.m., Friday, September 3, through the Provost Market raise model (PRM Planning Analytics). A summary of the college proposal including total funding requested, the total number of tenure system faculty recommended for an equity increase, scholarly history for individuals, marketability of individuals, and relevant unit and MAU comparisons must be submitted electronically to Brent Johnston (email@example.com) and Charmaine Shellman (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Office of Planning and Budgets.
- The college submittal will be reviewed with the Dean by Provost staff and ultimately acted upon by the Provost. Generally, market adjustment funding requests should be initiated and reflected entirely within the college responsible for the faculty member’s primary appointment and be based upon full salary regardless of currently existing research support. If appointed on a continuing basis through either MABR or MSUE, the supporting materials submitted to OPB should be footnoted to reflect support required from the noted units. Further, MABR and MSUE should be consulted about market recommendations for such faculty.
- The Office of the Provost will consider the market adjustment recommendations and, by Tuesday, September 14, will review with colleges and MAUs the amount of market salary adjustment funds to be allocated and related issues or concerns.
- Human Resources and Office of Planning and Budgets will complete adjustments for Provost Market raise amounts approved by the Office of the Provost.
If you have any questions regarding the administration of the process, please contact Suzanne Lang 353-5300 or David Byelich at 355-9271.